Dues stay in Minnesota, working for you! LELS is NOT affiliated with a national organization.
Benefits of membership
- Right to negotiate wages, benefits, working conditions and job security
- Able to attend union meetings, participate in contract negotiations and vote on the issues affecting the union
- Eligible to serve on the LELS Board of Directors or as a local Union Steward
- Enrolled as a member of the MPPOA
- Enrolled with the MPPOA Legal Defense Fund (LDF) which provides legal representation in criminal and civil matters which arise in the course and scope of your employment.
- You have the right to file a grievance to enforce the contract or challenge unfair and unjust discipline.
- You have the right to the presence of a union representative if you are being questioned regarding an incident which could lead to disciplinary action.
Where do your membership dues go?
LELS Dues: Contract negotiations, interest arbitrations, processing grievances, grievance arbitrations, representation during internal affairs investigations, legal research, compensation for staff members, and other administrative costs.
MPPOA: looks out for the interests of our members by lobbying and advocating for members’ economic, social and professional advancement at the state legislature and in Washington D.C.
Cost of Membership
The 2020 monthly union dues:
- $62.00 per month for full-time LICENSED employees
- $53.67 per month for full-time NON-LICENSED employees
- $31.72 per month for all part-time employees
If your Law Enforcement organization is not currently an LELS represented group and you would like to work with LELS to change your current union representation, please contact our office or submit the comment form on this website.
If there is an organizing campaign underway and you would like to submit your authorization form so that a petition can be submitted to the MN Bureau of Mediation Services, download this AUTHORIZATION form, complete it with a signature and return it to email@example.com.